This page has moved to a new address.

Christmas Menu - Reader's Choice

Thursday 13 December 2012

Christmas Menu - Reader's Choice

Wow! Thursday again. It's not long until Christmas now and this week it's all about my Christmas Menu.  I have had a giant spanner thrown in my works with Christmas and I have no idea what we are doing for Christmas Day.  Papa Devil has told me to just let him deal with and to trust him. Anyone who knows me well knows that I am finding this fucking hard.

My Christmas Menu is all cold stuff. It is way too hot to be slaving over a hot stove on Christmas Day. Not to mention salads can be made in the days leading up to the big day, which means that I don't even need to slave in the kitchen at all!

Nibblies:
We all know that Christmas Day involves eating way too much food that isn't the most healthiest options and you usually have enough left overs to last you 2 or 3 days after Christmas Day.

I'm not a big fan of Rum Balls and last year I discovered 'Tim Tam Balls'. They are delicious and so super easy to make.  Here is the recipe:

Add to this lots of lollies, chips, biscuits and dips and the nibblies are complete.  My favourite dips are avocado and corn relish.  

Main Meal:
The meat for the main meal is usually a mix of seafood (mainly prawns), ham and chicken.  I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Prawns. I love to eat them...hate peeling the little bastards.  It feels like you can't get the smell of them off your hands, no matter how many times you wash your hands.

Now for the salads!
I discovered a recipe for American Potato Salad a few months ago and it is to die for! I could and have sat and just had a big bowl of this salad on it's own.  I leave the skin on the potatoes and I don't cook the ham, I just put it in cold.  

Another favourite salad is the Crispy Noodle Salad.  It's found on the back of the Changs Fried Noodles packet and is yum! It's a nice light salad that is so refreshing amongst the heavy foods that fill the rest of the Christmas Menu.  The recipe also includes how to make the dressing but if you are lazy busy like me, you can buy it premade.  

A staple at every event is the good old Garden Salad.  I usually use Iceberg Lettuce, continental cucumber, capsicum, salad onion and cheese.  I put the dressing to the side so that the salad doesn't go soggy.  

Dessert:
If you have any room left after scoffing the main meal then here comes dessert. Of course we all know that there is a separate stomach for desserts so there will always be room.

My mum makes Sticky Date Pudding every year. It is delicious with icecream and you will have to have tons of will power to only have one piece.

Last year I made a three layer icecream cake. It was really fiddly and took a fair amount of time but it was so worth it.

What's on your Christmas Menu this year? Are there any favourites that you make each year or do you like to change it up each year?
 

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 13 December 2012 at 06:33 , Blogger ann said...

We have a few of the same things on our menus!! I love the Changs salad w have it atleast twice a week!! I love the premade dressing!!
I will be trying the potato salad that looks delicious!!

 

Post a Comment

I love getting your feedback so please show some comment love

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home